Categories and subcategories
- Updated On 30 Jan 2020
- 2 Minutes To Read
In Document360, categories and subcategories are used to organize and display groups of similar topics, acting as folders that contain groups of related content.
Nesting Categories and Subcategories
You can create up to six levels of categories and subcategories.
You can add articles to any category or subcategory.
Adding Categories and subcategories
There are two ways to add a category:
- By clicking Add Category at the top of the screen.
- By hovering between two existing categories and clicking the purple + icon.
There are two ways to add a subcategory:
- By hovering over an open category or below a closed category and clicking the purple + icon.
- By clicking the More Actions icon (three dots) next to the category name.
Renaming Categories or Subcategories
To rename a category or subcategory:
Hover on the More Actions icon next to the category you want to rename and select Rename.
Deleting Categories or Subcategories
- To delete a empty category or subcategory, hover over the More Actions icon and select Delete.
- Click Yes in the confirmation modal to delete the category/subcategory.
You may hide a category or subcategory within the documentation editor so that it is only accessible by project admins.
For example, you may want your sales team to have access to a category containing pricing details, but don’t want that category to be shown to customers. You would hide the article so that it wouldn’t appear in your public documentation.
Hidden categories will be struck through in the Documentation Editor.
To hide a category or subcategory
Hover over the More Actions icon and select Hide.
Click Yes in the confirmation modal to hide the category/subcategory.
Moving Categories or Subcategories
You can move any category or subcategory by dragging and dropping them to the desired location.
Using Emojis for Categories and Subcategories Icons
When you create a category or subcategory, a folder icon will be assigned as the default icon. You can change the icon for any category or subcategory to an emoji to better communicate the content to your end-user.
- To change the icon, click the folder next to the category name.
- Find a new emoji by using the search bar, looking through the categories along the top, or by using the color tone icons next to the search bar.
- Choose your new emoji.
Adding Categories to the Landing Page
You can add popular categories to the landing page so that end-users can access them directly.